21 February, 2007

Sagan on Sex

From The Sagan Diary, by John Scalzi:
Sex is not a holy or sacred thing or a physical machine to express a separate emotion. I fuck to enjoy myself and to celebrate the fact I am alive. I understand the idea of making love, but it seems a bad way to go about it. I don't fuck to show my love. I love to show my love and let the fucking be its own thing. I love you and I love fucking you and I have no need to complicate one with the other. They are both true statements and they are both good. I am content to have them remain that way.
The Sagan Diary is a companion piece to Scalzi's Old Man's War novels, a chronicle of one character's thoughts and emotions throughout the span of the three main novels, Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony. It's not for nothing that Scalzi has been dubbed the spearhead of the 'New Comprehensible' movement in sci-fi literature. His work is undeniably sci-fi, yet very accessible to readers new to the genre, which is something of an anomaly in this most self-referential of sub-genres.
Whatever (pun intended). I've enjoyed Scalzi's novels more than I have any recent reads (with the possible exception of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, but that's not sci-fi, so we're not talking about it here), and I guess I just can't shut up about them.

No comments: